(video published by Random House)
And now, ladies and gentlemen, concerning one of the great
of the 20th century!
How do we know what on earth he's talking about?
I offer Margo's synopsis of The Cat in the Hat Gets Grinched!
That Grinch! That Grinch!
- grain, grate, grave, gray, grief, grieve, grim, grimace,
gripe, grizzle, groan, grouch, grouse, growl, grudge, gruel, gruff, grumble,
- clench, clinch, crunch, drench, flinch, lynch, pinch,
punch, quench, staunch, stench, trench, wench, wrench
The sun came up gliztling!
- glow, glare, gleam, glim, glimmer, glint, glisten, glister,
glitter, gloaming, globe, glogg, glow
- blitz, glitz, quartz
And the whitzle birds!
- wail, warble, whimper, whine, whinny, whir, whistle,
whoop, wind, wolf, woof
- hertz, schmalts, waltz
Well, they were whitzling!
On this buzzy, beezleberry day
- bald, balm, bask, beach, beacon, beam, beet, bicker,
blanch, blank, blaze, bleach, blink, blip, blitz, blond, blood, bloom,
blossom, blowzy, blush, bold, bolt, brand, braze, bright, briquet, bulb,
- blaze, braise, braze, breeze, buzz, cruise, fuse, gaze,
glaze, jazz, lase, lens, ooze, please, poise, prize, raise, rise, rouse,
It was a beepin' leapin' moo moo loo loo of a day
- beep, leap, cheep, heap, peep, reap
- brew, coo, do, new, slew, spew, through, to, too, true,
view, whew, woo, zoo
- lampoon, laugh, leer, lift, light, lilt, limerick
- mad, magic, manna, marvel, merry, mirth, mystery, mystique,
But that Grinch! That psychopathic Grinch!
- fable, façade, fake, false, farce, faze, feign,
feint, fence, fib, filch, fix, flatter, flay, fleece, flummox, foil, foist,
folly, fool, forge, foster, fox, frame, fraud, fudge, phantom, phoney
- pale, paper, parade, parrot, part, pawn, peruke, pidgin,
pinch, pirate, placebo, plant, plastic, pose, possum, prop, proxy, puppet
- machine, make, mint, mirror, mock, model, mold
He called his reluctant dog, Max: Here Maxy Waxy! No hidey widey from
Grinchy Winchy! (Want to know what /w/ does? Consider the alternatives.)
- Here Maxy Baxy. No hidey bidey from Grinchy Binchy!
- Here Maxy Daxy. No hidey didey from Grinchy Dinchy!
- Here Maxy Gaxy. No hidey gidey from Grinchy Ginchy!
- Here Maxy Paxy. No hidey pidey from Grinchy Pinchy!
- Here Maxy Taxy. No hidey tidey from Grinchy Tinchy!
- Here Maxy Kaxy. No hidey kidey from Grinchy Kinchy!
- Here Maxy Vaxy. No hidey videy from Grinchy Vinchy!
- Here Maxy Zaxy. No hidey zidey from Grinchy Zinchy!
- Here Maxy Faxy. No hidey fidey from Grinchy Finchy!
- Here Maxy Thaxy. No hidey thidey from Grinchy Thinchy!
- Here Maxy Saxy. No hidey sidey from Grinchy Sinchy!
- Here Maxy Shaxy. No hidey shidey from Grinchy Shinchy!
- Here Maxy Haxy. No hidey hidey from Grinchy Hinchy!
- Here Maxy Jaxy. No hidey jidey from Grinchy Jinchy!
- Here Maxy Chaxy. No hidey chidey from Grinchy Chinchy!
- Here Maxy Maxy. No hidey midey from Grinchy Minchy!
- Here Maxy Naxy. No hidey nidey from Grinchy Ninchy!
- Here Maxy Raxy. No hidey ridey from Grinchy Rinchy!
- Here Maxy Laxy. No hidey lidey from Grinchy Linchy!
- Here Maxy Yaxy. No hidey yidey from Grinchy Yinchy!
He gargled and snurgled and fuzzled the sound!
- gabble, gag, gale, gallows, gape, garble, gargle, garrotte,
gasp, giggle, gobble, gorge, gorget, grate, grain/y, gravel/ly, groan,
growl, gruff, grumble, grunt, guffaw, guillotine, gulp, gurgle, guzzle
- cease, cede, cement, cinch, sabotage, sack, saddle, sap,
sate, save, scare, scold, score, scratch, screech, scrub, scuttle, seal,
seat, serve, set, settle, sever, sift, singe, sink, sit, skid, skunk, slake,
slam, slaughter, slay, slow, snag, snap, snare, snarl, snub, snuff, sojourn,
solve, space, spank, spar, spare, spay, spear, spend, spike, spin, spoil,
spurn, sputter, squelch, stagger, stall, stammer, stand, star, stare, starve,
stash, staunch, stave, stay, steep, stem, stew, stick, stickle, stifle,
still, sting, stint, stone, stop, straddle, strain, strand, strangle, strap,
strike, strip, stub, stuff, stumble, stump, stun, stunt, stutter, sue,
swaddle, swallow, sweep, swing
- naught, nay, neither, neuter, never, nihil, nil, nix,
no, non, none, nope, nor, not, nothing, null
- blear, blur, slur, smear, stir, tar
- clog, frog, gag, plug
- faint, fall, fell, flat, flip, floor, flop, flounder,
flurry, flush, fumble
With his vacuum sound sweeper (constructed, in case it's not obvious
to you) of the following parts:
- a liggle gear, a niggle gear, and an eliptical scrutch.
That was hooked to a gratsital gruts. And then the flange of the salima
glott, the spatualnt springs and the ramulous rings all heated up the pongs
and the pings! Hmmmm.......
He gave the poor Cat a gadickle flamax deluxe!
- gala, galaxy, galore, gamut, glar/ing, globe, glory,
glut, gob, God, good, googol, gouge, gout, grail, grand, great, gross,
- bilk, fake, kwack, like, mock, prank, psych, skunk, take,
- baffel, battle, bottle, bubble, buckle, devil, draggle,
dribble, drivel, evil, fizzle, frazzle, fribble, frizzle, fuddle, gobble,
grapple, grovel, guzzle, haggle, hassle, heckle, hobble, jiggle, joggle,
jostle, juggle, muddle, muffle, muzzle, nettle, niggle, peril, pickle,
pommel, prattle, puzzle, quarrel, quibble, rabble, rattle, ravel, riddle,
rubble, ruffle, rustle, scribble, scuffle, shackle, shuffle, shuttle, sizzle,
smugglesniffle, snivel, snuffle, squiggle, stickle, straggle, struggle,
tackle, throttle, tickle, trammel, trouble, tussle, wangle, wiggle, wobble,
- fill, flare, flesh, flood, flower, flush, fraught, full,
- maelstrom, main, major, make, mammoth, many, marathon,
mark, marvel, mass, master, matter, mature, maxi, mayhem, meat, mecca,
medal, melee, mellow, mile, mint, miser, mob, model, molto, moment, money,
monger, monster, more, most, mound, mount, mountain, much, mushroom, must,
And that is not all!
He also got a triple ringfitzle rundunkle geschopp!
- rag, rail, rake, ram, rankle, rap, rat, rate, rattle,
raw, razz, rib, rile, riot, rise, rock, roil, rot, rouse, rub, rude, ruffle,
rut, wriggle, writhe, wry
- blind, blunt, bunt, crunch, end, faint, lynch, mince,
punt, quench, round, trounce, wind
- dam, damp, dark, darkle, darn, daunt, dazzle, dead, deaf,
deck, delta, dense, diet, dim, dingy, dolce, doubt, douse, down, drab,
draft, drain, drop, drown, dub, dud, dull, dumb, dusk, dwarf, dwindle
- shamble, shard, shatter, shell, shingle, shiver, shoot,
shot, shred, shuffle
- drape, drip, droop, drop, dump, flip, flop, glop, plop,
scrap, seep, slip, slop, slump, stoop, swoop, tip, trip, weep, wipe(out)
It was zanplausible, zanpossible, zanreasonable and unlawzible
- zap, zephyr, zero, zilch, zombie, zone, zonk
But there he was schplutzing his ego around...
- charlatan, schlep, schlimazel, schlock, schmaltz, schmuck,
schnook, shabby, shack, sham, shamble, shanty, shed, shicksa, shit, shabby,
shoddy, shuck, shuffle
- spat, spatter, speck, speckle, spew, spigot, spill, spit,
spittle, splash, splat, splatter, splay, splotch, splutter, spot, spout,
spray, spring, sprinkle, spume, spurt, sputter, squirt
And then rowdy dow!
- race, rah, rally, rant, rapt, rare/ing, rash, rave, real,
reel, revel, rich, riot, ripe, rip/ping, risk, risqué, ritzy, rivet/ing,
roar, rocket, roll, rollick, romp, rose/y, rouse, rush
The psychologicalized a bit and succeeded in ungrinching the Grinch!
And how about this... why does it work?
How to deal with
this beezleberry world
In this world
of complexitous complikitations.
In this world
Of pecunitous puzzelizations.
In this world
And ridunculous ruffulizations.
Of blockerizations and
The comes a time for